We believe that in order to write any text, children must be familiar with the language and patterns that it involves. They cannot write a sentence pattern without being able to say it and they cannot say it, if they have not heard it.
- The importance of reading quality texts and talking about them.
- The principles of talk for writing and the importance of shared writing.
- The importance of setting achievable targets as next steps for children.
- The need for the children to reflect on their reading and writing in order to clearly understand what they need to do to improve.
- The need for children to be given opportunities to choose what to write about and how to present their work.
- The value of extended reading and writing sessions and the time given to developing a piece of writing.